Sunday, October 7, 2012

Trashy Thanksgiving...


You know how life is - you're just as busy as I am.
So, while I don't ponder what I'm truly thankful for JUST on Thanksgiving weekend, it is a pretty natural time of year to make a concentrated effort to create a list. 


And, it really is easy to make a "Thankful" list. I'm sure we've all done it at one time or another. And, I'm sure our lists would have similarities. They would probably read something like this... 
I'm thankful for: 
my family 
my health
my job
my spouse
my freedom
my faith (and maybe this would be higher up on our lists)
my home
clothing and... don't forget accessories ;o)
food
laughter
friends
sunshine
my church
my pet
my favorite color
the seasons
fluffy white clouds
yummy smells
chocolate

...and our lists could go on and on and on and on and on. Easy Peasy.

There is, however, another type of "Thankful" list that doesn't read anything like the above mentioned. And, it simply isn't so easy peasy to create.

I'm thankful for:
my illness
my lonliness
my child's sickness
my job search
my broken heart
my addiction
my unsaved spouse
my financial stress
my infertility
my past
my flooded basement
my wrecked car 
my runaway teen
my troubled marriage

UGH.

I know. It kinda feels like I just pulled a fast one over on us all, doesn't it? Like I threw us a big ol' guilt trip.
Hey, I get it.

It's really difficult to be thankful for hurtful, confusing, stretching, scarey times in our lives.
But guess what?
We don't have to be because God only asks us to be thankful DURING the circumstances, to rejoice IN our sufferings.

God is the Giver of all good gifts. And, He sends or allows every last one of our life's situations... for... HIS... glory.
Neither list is about me. 
Neither list is about you. 
Just Him.

My goodness - He trusts us!

A songcame to my mind while I was writing this post. Part of it goes like this: 

I've a clock that won't work
And an old telephone
A broken umbrella, a rusty trombone
And I am delighted to call them my own!
I love them because they're trash

Recognize it?
Good old Oscar the Grouch.

My challenge to us, today, is to take some time this weekend and write out our "Thankful" list. 
Let's include the happy, sad, pretty, and trashy things. Let's include it all. And let's delight in them all. Because they are our own.

And we are beautiful. 

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Take Six readers.

~lisa


PS.  Take 5 With Kathy will resume next Sunday.  

2 comments:

  1. Love this perspective on thanks. God is the giver of everything and we must be thankful for what he gives us - the good and the bad. Blessings to you this Thanksgiving Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. The trick for me is to remember this perspective... everyday ;) Blessings to you, as well.

      Delete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover