Sunday, April 22, 2012

Take 5 with Kathy - "Quality control..."


Two weeks ago my husband and I purchased new light fixtures for our kitchen. Ever since we moved into this home over five years ago, I’ve disliked very much (to put it mildly) the track lighting that was there. Why we didn’t replace it when we renovated the entire kitchen floor to ceiling (well, almost), I don’t understand. Maybe we just didn’t want to go to the extra expense. Nevertheless, I had put up with them long enough! Perhaps watching too many home renovation shows had made me long for those lovely pendant lights. There always seems to be something else to make the house a little more perfect.

After they sat in the boxes on the floor for a week, I decided last Saturday we had better put them together – you know, just in case something was wrong and we had to return them. I began laying out all the pieces on the dining room table and picked up the instructions. Hmmmmm…..lack of instructions was more like it! They were scant at best, but between them and the picture on the box, I began to make some sense of how to assemble the fixtures. Funny, my husband is the electrical engineer, but I was the one trying to figure out how they went together! He began helping, but quickly became frustrated because certain parts were just not fitting well.

“Lack of quality control,” he kept muttering, “With all the modern technology you’d think they could make all the shades and frames the same! There’s no precision, no quality control!”

We finally had one light fixture totally assembled and armed with the knowledge of how to do it, minus the instruction sheet, we began the second one. Same problem!

“You’d think for the money we paid for these, they could get it right!” we complained to each other. Of course, we don’t expect perfection, but sliding those semi-circular glass shades into their frames was a lot trickier than we anticipated and took every ounce of patience we could muster.

At last, we began to screw the base onto the extension rod – the final step. We were almost done! But alas, they wouldn’t fit together properly; there was a gap of about one quarter of-an-inch. When we tried to tighten it, a section came apart! “Now what do we do?!!” we both exclaimed. We were both so tired and frustrated after an already busy week, we had looked forward to just getting them installed.

So, back to the store I went with the almost assembled light fixture. Thankfully, the lighting guy opened up another box and just exchanged the two defective parts. I guess he could sense we would not be too excited about putting a third one together from scratch.

As you can see from the picture, the lights are now installed, thanks to the assistance of our son, and we are very pleased with the results. Our kitchen finally looks complete and well, almost perfect.

All this reminded me of a couple Bible verses about perfection. As Paul concluded his first letter to the Corinthians he exhorted them to, “Aim for perfection.” [i] Jesus instructs us to, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”[ii]

Of course, God is the only one who is perfect in every way. In Psalm 18:30-32 we read, “As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him. For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.”

Then I found a verse I hadn’t taken notice of in the same way before. It says, “To all (earthly, human) perfection I see a limit; but your commands are boundless.[iii]

I’m so glad I know and serve the One God who is perfect in every way! I’m thankful He has provided His perfect Word to guide me in becoming more like Him every day as I learn His truths and seek to live by them. He is the One who takes all the pieces of my life and fits them together with perfect precision. And since He is the One who designed and created me, He doesn’t need any instruction sheet!

Until next Sunday,

Kathy





[i] I Corinthians 13:11
[ii] Matthew 5:48
[iii] Psalm 119:96


Joining:

1 comment:

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover