Thursday, February 9, 2012

Soup's On...with Paula #2




Sausage and Bean Soup
I jotted this recipe down about 4 years ago from a magazine in my Dr.s office, and it has become the one and only soup my 11 year old daughter looks forward to. 



1 can drained and rinsed navy beans  (I have used everything from chickpeas, to black beans even canned lentils)
1 3/4 cups beef broth
1 small onion diced
1 minced clove of garlic
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 pkg of hot Italian sausages (4 or 5/pkg)  We like this soup with a spicy zip but if that is not for you, mild Italian sausage would be just fine. 
The recipe says to slice the sausage, so in the past i would partially freeze them to make slicing easier, but now I just purchase ground sausage meat or squeeze the meat out of the casing and just roll tiny meatballs,
1 small green zucchini
1 small yellow zucchini
1 can diced tomatoes with herbs
1/3 cup dry red wine (never have it so I just always add 1/3 C water)
4 cups water
baby spinach or chopped spinach
parmesan cheese
Fry sausage slices or balls until brown, then put all ingredients but spinach and cheese in pot.
Bring to boil and simmer until zucchini and onion are tender.
To serve, I put some baby spinach leaves and parmesan cheese in the bottom of the bowls, then ladle hot soup on top and this will be plenty of heat and time to cook the tender spinach leaves.

Enjoy!

See you next Friday!


14 comments:

  1. Yummy yum yum, I am going to make this pot of deliciousness very soon. I love the spinach leaves and cheese on the bottom. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy! I will be making it real soon..
    Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup looks warm and welcoming--thanks for adding the recipe to Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love to make soup.
    Thanks for coming by- I'm following!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I love sausage. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm
    i love soup
    and this recipe is a keeper

    i am following
    via Linky Followers
    and hope that you'll
    visit me too!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good!!


    Just stopping by from the Linky Follow Blog Hop. I hope you'll visit www.Laughterandgrace.com and follow.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I chose you for the Versatile Blogger Award because I enjoy your blog so much :) Congratulations! See details on my Feb. 10 post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks Yummy ! Thanks for Linking up and following . I am now lunky following your awesome blog ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this soup - I'm a big soup fan too and put a new pot on every Monday so that there's something for lunch every day.
    Linked up with you - thanks for visiting my little blog project. Can't wait to get to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am so glad you found me. I am following you back on linky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com. I'm following back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy! Have a wonderful weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Paula!

    This soup looks SO GOOD right now (still have this cold) and I really like that you make it so we can download it!

    Thanks for sharing at my Bunny Hop Party!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover