Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rhubarb Delight

We treat rhubarb like gold at our home. Rhubarb pie is my hubby's favorite dessert. Since I'm not a real successful pie maker, he makes all the rhubarb pies. They are so good! He always buys lots of fresh rhubarb in the spring, cuts it up and freezes it. This year he went one step further. He bought four rhubarb roots. We planted two at home and two at the trailer. They have just taken off. I know we will have lots of homegrown rhubarb in the years to come.

Several years ago, my friend, Cindy, brought this luscious dessert to our Canada Day celebration. My husband made a beeline for seconds, so I knew that was my cue to get the recipe. I made it again a few nights ago, and we really enjoyed it. Our power had gone out (thankfully AFTER it was cooked) so we sat and ate it with candlelight!





It is a shortbread type bottom, with a rhubarb/custard layer, and then meringue topping. Delicious!!




RHUBARB DELIGHT

Base:
2C flour
1C butter
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Mix and press into 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes.

Custard:
1C evaporated milk
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp flour
2C sugar
6 egg yolks, beaten
6 cups rhubarb
Mix custard ingredients well.
Add rhubarb.
Pour over base.
Bake 1 hour at 350 F.

Meringue:
6 egg whites, stiffly beaten
6 tsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Put meringue on top of baked rhubarb custard.
Bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes.

Thanks Cindy!!

Printable Recipe

Much thanks to Yvonne over at StoneGable for doing an awesome post on how to do a "printable recipes" link for your blog. Now we are able to give you an easy print out link for all the recipes we post here at Take Six. Just click on the words "Printable Recipe" just below the picture above, and print!! It's that easy! Thanks Yvonne!!


I'm joining:
Foodie Friday
On the Menu Monday
Savory Sunday
Creative Bloggers Party
Seasonal Sunday
The Sunday Showcase Party
Delight Me Link Up Party










13 comments:

  1. Oh Tanya! This looks amazing! I love Rhubarb! :) Thanks for sharing this beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious Tanya! I have never made anything with rhubarb, but I enjoy having a slice of pie when I see it in a bakery. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this looks and sounds wonderful! I love rhubarb and can hardly wait to try this! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful dessert!! I am printing this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing.. I love rhubarb myself. Can't wait to make this myself. Thanks too for dropping in.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, this looks delicious! I really wish that we got rhubarb out here because I would love to make this.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have taken Rhubarb to an entirely new level! That meringue looks so divine! Thank you for bringing your sweet treat to ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my heavens! This l@@ks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe! Must give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! Thanks so much for sharing it at Savory Sunday!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Tanya,
    This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing and have a great day.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my. This sounds decadent!!!!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strawberry rhubarb pie is my hubby's fav. This sounds like it's worth a try.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! My family loves rhubarb too. I will have to try this recipe. Thank you for linking up to Delight Me at Doodles & Doilies!

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover