Sunday, July 24, 2011

Faith's Foundation . . .

This past week I’ve been working on my dress for my son’s wedding…yes, I’ve left it rather late! Sewing has always been a passion of mine – from my wedding dress to bridesmaid’s dresses, children’s and Barbie clothes, curtains, placemats, etc. But, sewing a fancy dress of satiny material and lace I have not done for twenty five years and I’m not a size 10 anymore! Relying on past experience didn’t prepare me for exasperating pattern alterations and then undoing mistakes because of a miscalculation or two…or three. It’s been rather bitter-sweet. However, it’s finally coming together and I’m quite pleased with the result. Let’s hope it looks as nice on me as it does on the hanger!

No doubt you’ve occasionally found yourself second-guessing your ability or expertise. Maybe, like me, you’ve not done something for so long that you even doubt your competency or skills. It takes time to rebuild confidence. Sometimes we need personal affirmation such as I have received from a few precious women lately. They have seen in me what I could not see in myself. This blog is one result of that! I thank God for their words of wisdom and encouragement.

Moses discovered himself in such a place as he was shepherding one day. But unlike other monotonous, sweltering days, his attention was suddenly captivated by a bush with flames shooting from within. What amazed him more was that it never burned up! It’s probable to assume that Moses had seen other bushes burn under the blistering desert sun, but this was a “strange sight” to him (Exodus 3:1-3). He just had to investigate this phenomenon! To further bewilder him, the bush abruptly called him by name, “Moses, Moses!” I can’t even imagine what my reaction might have been, however Moses simply answered, “Here I am.” Did he know who spoke to him in that moment? It’s not clear, but what is certain was God’s unmistakable confirmation, “Do not come any closer…Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground…I am the God of Abraham…Isaac…Jacob.” (3:5-6). Instantly, Moses realized he was in the presence of the Holy and Almighty God. He hid his face in reverent fear.

I’m wondering if you’ve ever experienced a moment with God like that. His desire, though He is perfect and has power over the entire universe, is to have a personal, intimate relationship with you and me. A favorite verse of mine is, “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine.” (Isaiah 43:1b)

Moses may not have known every sheep by name, but Jesus assures us He knows every one of His flock by name (John 10:3,14). I’m praying that you know Jesus in this loving, personal way. God was the foundation of Moses’ faith and He is my foundation. He longs to be a strong and sure foundation for your faith too!


Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post.. wow. I've never had the burning bush, but there are times, that I call out His name and a calm comes over me and I know He's there with me. :-) xo marlis

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover