Monday, September 27, 2010

Family. A big, 6 letter word...

Have you ever looked up the word "family" in a dictionary?
If not, do.
There are many definitions.

This past Friday evening I attended a "family potluck". The dynamic of that particular group was such that not one of the original "family members" were blood related. Yet, we have something in common that brings us together.

This past Saturday evening I attended a "family cookout". The dynamic of that particular group was the opposite of Friday evening. We were clearly blood related.

It's interesting that you and I could have different groups of people in our lives and that we probably consider more than one of these groups, family. Or at the very least, like family. You are enough like me, I'm sure, to be thankful for this fact about life.

I'm single, without children. And I would be lying if I said that there are never times when I wish that my family included more people besides myself.

Which is why I am thankful for many definitions to the word family.
And for all the different groups of people whom I share commonalities with and whom I love, like family.

Mostly, I'm thankful for the family God gave me - my Frankland peeps, and their peeps.

Who is in your family?
In mine there is Katheleen (my mom and our most treasured Queenie), Tanya and Andrew and Nicole, Jenna and Bradley, Paula and Jonathon and Hannah.

Whom do you consider family?
For me, simply too many people to list.

Two very different, yet similar, questions.
It's interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Family is one of my favorite words - in all its incarnations!

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover