Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's so obvious...

Here is another vacation tale for you, sort of.

At one of the rest stops taken during my holiday (and there were many), I could not help but notice a certain garbage can. It has a pukie green colored can with a bright yellow sign on the front of it that read:
FOR YOUR GOOD HEALTH BARREL PICKING IS PROHIBITED.

Yes, yes, I even took a picture – scroll down a take a peek!!!

When I read it I thought, “Well, well, there is certainly nothing like stating the obvious... duh!”

Then, as so often happens, there was a still, small voice inside my mind that said, “Ah, but Lisa – that sign is for you, too. You barrel pick all the time.”

I barrel pick? What?

I
barrel
pick
?

Me?

As that phrase rolled around in my head
(get it – barrel, rolling around… heehee) different ideas came to mind.

What comes to your mind when you consider the phrase ‘barrel picking’?

I pictured a person, a real, live person digging, elbow deep in garbage. In smooshie, stinky garbage. In stuff that others have thrown away minutes, or hours, or days ago. And why? Because they have a need and they are looking to fill it. More specifically, they have a hunger. And, unfortunately any old scrap will do.

I have certain needs and certain hungers. And, unfortunately, many times I allow any old scrap to fill that need/hunger. I should say it this way – I allow any old scrap to TRY and fill me, for they never really do.

However, if I am honest with myself, scraps very rarely do. And when they do it is not a long lasting fill but a quick fix until my need/hunger returns.

Let’s see… some of the things I use to fill needs/hungers in my life: shopping, food, work, facebook, television, flattery and the list could go on. Please understand that none of these things are bad in and of themselves, but if I am using any one of them to make me feel important, relaxed, popular, relevant, informed – well, I’m only barrel picking.

How about you? Are you a barrel picker too?

Let’s stop it… for our good health. It’s so obvious.



PS: If you want to know what does fill me - just ask. I'd be happy to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover